Tuesday 18 January 2011

Bird boxes

A cheeky Robin at Minsmere




Today I decided to buy a new bird box, my old  bird box in the holly tree was unsuccessful last year, so I moved the old one to my Willow tree,and no sooner had I done that when a male Great Tit came to inspect it, closely followed by a female, I was so excited ,they came and went and fluttered about, then whilst they had gone, stupid me not thinking put out some lambs wool nesting material near the box, but needless to say they came back and did not like the look of the lambs wool, and haven't come back, stupid me, I suppose they must be very sensitive to changes when looking for a nest site.We'll see if they return!!

Last year I also bought a cheap little woven nest thing and a Wren took a liking to that ,it was lovely to watch the male come and go with nesting materials, and then sit aloftt and sing to females about his hard work!!a little lady took a liking to him, and they were successfull in raising a family, although I was scared for them when a cat kept hanging around the nest area  I was on constant watch for that darn cat, and kept chasing it off, the baby Wrens fledged I was so relieved!!

I will keep you posted if there are any further developments, a Wren has been nosing around the box, but I was told that they dont usually go for that type of nesting box.

I have put my new box in amongst some ivy and opened the front piece so there is no hole, just an open bit which leads down into the box.

Meant to say yesterday, a Merganser, and a Black necked Grebe seen at Ormesby Broad on Sunday, also Bittern seen flying over Filby Boardwalk on Sunday.Male and female Smew seen att Barton Broad on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment